| Sausages are an all-time favourite,
kids love them, Dads love them – Mums too because you
serve them up and they disappear.
Using both the traditional plumper style gourmet sausages
and the popular thinner ones we’re coming up with
flavour combos that will keep everyone happy. Tomato, herbs,
garlic even chillies and cheese are used. The result? Delicious!
Cooking the perfect gourmet sausage
Sausages can be barbecued, char-grilled, grilled,
pan-fried or oven roasted.
- It’s true most sausages contain fat – this
gives them some of their flavour and keeps them moist.
If you want to remove some of the fat you can simmer or
poach sausages for about 20 minutes before cooking. This
isn't true in the case of our sausages which have less
fat with only a modest 12%, which is less than half of
the industry standard.
- Cut the links before cooking.
- Don’t pierce them. If you prick good quality
sausages you let all the moisture and flavour out.
- Simmer sausages before barbecuing them to keep them
moist and to help them cook right through on the high
heat of the barbecue.
- Cook sausages over moderate heat, if you cook them
at too high a temperature their skins will burst.
- Turn the sausages regularly to ensure that they cook
evenly and don’t burn.
- Remember sausages must always be cooked right through
to the centre.
Smart cooking…less mess
One of the easiest ways to cook sausages is in
the oven (it also makes less mess).
- Preheat the oven to 180oC.
- Place a sheet of baking paper on oven tray.
- Cut the links and place the sausages over the baking
paper, use a large enough oven tray so that it allows
some room around each of the sausages.
- Place sausages in oven and roast for 15 minutes or
- Shake the oven tray from time to time to turn the sausages
so they brown evenly.
Kids love little sausages. Make longer
beef sausages more manageable by twisting and turning the
sausage in the middle to make two smaller ones. Snip in
the middle with scissors, then grill, barbecue or pan-fry.